Going to Australia as an au pair

A year abroad in Australia
If you are under 30 years of age and want to work in Australia as an au pair, the Australian Working Holiday visa is the best visa solution.

Going to Australia as an au pair is still a very popular choice with young people, especially right after finishing school/graduation. For many, it is an opportunity to escape everyday life and gain new experiences before they join the workforce.

The most suitable visa for this purpose is the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417). This visa offers the possibility of spending up to 12 months in Australia; however, it is only possible to stay with the same family for a maximum period of six months.


What does an au pair do?

An au pair usually takes care of the host family’s children. Depending on the ages of the children, this may involve waking them up, getting them ready for school, helping them with their homework, and taking care of them during the day. In addition, in most cases, an au pair is expected to take care of some of the household duties as well, such as cooking, shopping, vacuuming, etc. The finer details of the au pair’s responsibilities and tasks depend on the host family.

Work hours are generally 25 to 45 hours per week in exchange for accommodation and a weekly allowance.


What are the visa requirements and criteria?

If you plan to go to Australia as an au pair, the same conditions apply as for any other work and holiday traveller. The most important conditions for a Working Holiday visa are:

  • Aged between 18 and 30
  • Passport holder of a country eligible for this visa
  • Sufficient financial funds to support stay and travel (currently about A$5,000.-)
  • No criminal record
  • No outstanding debts to the Commonwealth
  • No prior refusal or cancellation of an Australian visa

In addition to the usual visa requirements, the host families may define further criteria. The most common are good English language skills, a valid driving license (an international driving license is recommended), as well as experience in childcare and/or youth work. For the latter, at least two references should be provided. Some families also place great value on a neat, well-groomed appearance. Non-smokers are usually preferred.



Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on linkedin
Share on email

The Second Year Working Holiday Visa

Do you currently hold or have recently held an Australian Working Holiday visa, and are looking to extend your stay for another year? Want to soak up the Aussie sun a little longer, and continue exploring its rich culture and traditions? You should consider getting a second Working Holiday visa!

More »

WWOOFing – An alternative to Work and Travel?

WWOOFing instead of Work and Travel? Many people bury their dreams of temporary work in Australia once they hit 30 years of age, believing they’ve missed the boat. What many people do not know is that even if you don’t have a Working Holiday visa or any other work permit, you can work as a WWOOFer on an Australian farm and get to know country and people a lot more intensively than you would during an ordinary vacation. All that is needed is a Tourist visa.

More »