A year abroad in Australia – but too old for Working Holiday?

A year abroad in Australia
The Working Holiday visa is the classic visa for people planning to spend a year in Australia. But although the Australian Working Holiday visa carries an age limit of 30 years, this does not mean that you cannot apply for this visa after your 30th birthday.

Who hasn’t dreamed of taking a break, dropping everything, starting a new chapter in life, and experiencing new adventures? Well, Australia offers a whole range of options for turning that dream into a reality. The simplest and most uncomplicated is certainly the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417). But that’s just for people in their twenties, right? At least that’s what most people believe about Australia’s work and travel option.

Although most work and holiday travellers have just finished school, education or studies, this does not necessarily mean that this visa is only for the under-30s. If you’re smart, there is a way to spend a year abroad in Australia with a Working Holiday visa even if you’ve already turned 30. Under Australia’s immigration laws, people between the ages of 18 and 30 can apply for a Working Holiday visa. This means that the application for this visa must be made before the applicant’s 31st birthday. Once the visa is granted, you have 12 months to activate your visa by entering Australia, and you can stay for a total of 12 months. This means that you can still head off on your personal work and travel adventure at the age of 32.

So, if you want to take a break upon completion of your studies or even after some years in the workforce and you’re keen to spend a year abroad, then a Working Holiday visa is still an option.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on linkedin
Share on email

The Second Year Working Holiday Visa

Do you currently hold or have recently held an Australian Working Holiday visa, and are looking to extend your stay for another year? Want to soak up the Aussie sun a little longer, and continue exploring its rich culture and traditions? You should consider getting a second Working Holiday visa!

More »

WWOOFing – An alternative to Work and Travel?

WWOOFing instead of Work and Travel? Many people bury their dreams of temporary work in Australia once they hit 30 years of age, believing they’ve missed the boat. What many people do not know is that even if you don’t have a Working Holiday visa or any other work permit, you can work as a WWOOFer on an Australian farm and get to know country and people a lot more intensively than you would during an ordinary vacation. All that is needed is a Tourist visa.

More »